Artist Statement.

On the very first day at the beginning of the semester, our final projects were introduced. I’ll admit that I was a little intimidated. It was only the first class! It had only been in session for 30 minutes, and we were already talking about a finale for the next sixteen weeks of work. Talk about putting on the pressure.

Despite my intimidation, I started thinking about what I wanted to accomplish for the final project. Through observing and listening to other classmates, as well as insight about the foster care system through Kids Matter, Inc., I decided that I wanted to focus on stereotypes. At this time, I had not narrowed down my topic by what sort of stereotypes I wanted to deal with; I had just decided that stereotypes was a subject that interested me enough to stick with for the entire semester.

I think my impulse to explore the idea of stereotypes and its relation to the foster care system came from my own subjective thoughts about foster care youth. Initially, I think I had it in my mind when I found out that I was going to be working with a foster care program that I was going to be working with a bunch of rowdy, troublemakers. It seemed that I already had a predisposition about foster care, and the people who were placed into foster care. However, the more I started to dig into my thought process, and the research I had found, my ideas really changed. I started to wonder why I initially related trouble and foster care together. I wanted to explore where my predispositions came from; why I had negative thoughts about foster care without really having a basis or justification for my subjectivity. It takes a lot of courage for an artist to admit a flawed opinion. And it takes even more courage to actually explore the real answer to the problem.

When I think about where my predisposition about foster care youth came from, television and movies pop into my head. I have seen numerous movies where foster care youth have been portrayed in a negative light, whether it is troublemakers, bullies, or even drug addicts. I’ve never had a personal experience with foster care, and I have never known anyone in foster care, so I was really basing my own opinions on the closest thing I could relate to: the media. The media has sensationalized the view of many foster care adolescents establishing stereotypes amongst the general public. Even news related material that tend to focus more on negative stories related to foster care youth versus positive stories contribute to the overwhelming amount of stereotypes that these youth face daily.

This project has really helped me as an artist in understanding where the ideas that are already in my head came from. I found a problem with my way of thinking, and through researching and addressing the issue appropriately, I corrected my though process. Reading the perspective of current or former foster care youth that have been victims of these stereotypes helped me understand how my previous opinions were unjustifiable. The only thing I achieved by automatically linking bad behaviors with foster care is just another stereotype that affects these teens.

4.28.2009

Questionnaire.

I am waiting for a response to a list of questions that I gave to Kids Matter, Inc. The questions were directed at youth in foster care, and their perspective of stereotypes within the foster care system. I wanted the questions to be disbursed to the youth, filled out and posted on my blog.

However, I have yet to receive any response. Which is okay. I will just post the questions as a stepping stone to see where it goes...

(Below is the Questionnaire)

Surveying Stereotypes.


A survey for Foster Care Children and Adolescents.

Please feel free to answer the following questions to the best of your ability. I am looking for honesty, and a personal reflection of your experience. I want you to voice YOUR opinions because this project would not be anything without you.
You do not need to cite specific names or events. Please do not put your name on the sheet. If you are uncomfortable with any question, skip it.
These responses will be posted on a blogging website for the course, Film 150: Multi-Cultural America.

I really appreciate your cooperation!
Thanks.

1. How long have you been in foster care?
2. Briefly describe the circumstances that led to your placement in a foster care facility.
3. Explain your foster care experience. Have you been in multiple foster homes? Were you in a group home?
4. How has this experience affected you? Emotionally? Behaviorally?
5. Have you ever felt that others have treated you differently because you currently are, or have been, in the foster care system? How so and by whom?
6. Do you feel that you have been stereotyped because you currently are, or have been, in the foster care system?
7. What sorts of stereotypes do you think are associated with foster care children and adolescents?
8. How do these stereotypes make you feel?
Powered By Blogger